#ISPY: Library Scavenger Hunt

Looking for a way to Introduce new students, faculty and staff to An important space and its available resources? You might want to try a Scavenger Hunt.
               Evolution of the Scavenger Hunt Map

Library Map process

Canva was initially used to create map, but proved to be time consuming due to learning curve.  Hence, a hand drawn map was created – process attached. Team names were added to the maps to prevent overcrowding at the respective locations

Other elements of the scavenger hunt

QR CodesQR Codes A-F” were added so that students could follow a “route” which prevented them all starting at the same spot. Each QR Code also had QR Code Blurbs, descriptions of the library locations teams visited. Tokens, photo representations of the Team names were placed at each location.  Teams had to collect the token to “prove” they had visited the location.

Glows

• The map was detailed and easy to follow.
  • The kids understood the symbolism of the Team names (Falcon, falcon, quill, and owl)  

Grows

• I should have been more explicit about the activity NOT being a race.
  • I should have allowed students to keep maps for future use.  However, I think I probably would have seen the maps scattered all over campus.
  • The map was too detailed for the scope of the project.

Project Notes:

I am happy things went smoothly and students genuinely had a great time.  The, “This was SO much fun!” statement made my day.

However, in the course of having a great time I know that not all the groups actually READ the information contained in the QR Codes. To avoid this in the future I will:

• Make it abundantly clear that the activity is NOT a race, and  
  • Create/include a knowledge check to ensure that students walk away meeting all the “Desired Results” for what they will “know” and “be able to do.”

Additionally, I am happy that students felt comfortable expressing themselves during the question and answer period.  Afterwards, one student asked if she could make a suggestion. The student thought the activity would have been more meaningful if the QR codes were on the books and part of the hunt was to locate the books.  I agree!!! This idea had been considered, but was not implemented given time constraints. However, some classes (that did not participate during orientation) may do the hunt during Home Base. That is an opportunity to implement that idea along with the inclusion of a knowledge check, or at the very least a more robust question and answer period.

Overall, this was a fun project and I liked using the tech (QR Monkey) I learned in camp.  I am currently contemplating a phase two.

Phase 2 could look something like:

1. Have teachers actually do the scavenger hunt.
    1. NOTE: One new teacher actually DID the hunt. Feedback was that the hunt was helpful as a new teacher and knowing where he could find things.
  2. Frame the QR Codes around the library and present the information is a more user/reader friendly format, eg. infographic format OR have a tablet that has the library catalog AND the QR Codes on it.
  3. Make sure to include having participant FIND an item in the respective sections.
  4. Advertise the QR Codes on the NEW Library website – maybe. 
For more information contact: Tracy Smith
tsmith@riverdale.edu